Introduction

Introduction

Postby Clarion » Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Greetings and welcome to the beginnings of our new GUGA forum, the predominant format of which will be webstories. I first began participating in webstories on Ambrosia Software's Escape Velocity board at the end of 2000. In a webstory, each writer takes on the role of several characters or one or more factions, writing that perspective of the story and adding details to develop the overall universe as they go. My background is in highly competitive and structured games the main objective of which was to outwit your opponent with clever character moves and deployment of forces. Even in those however, the writing was rich enough that I would often go back and read pages upon pages of an old story to relive it. I intend for our stories here to be more on the side of serious writing. We can still enjoy some friendly competition, but the structure will be far less rigid. We can agree on rules that are beneficial to the story and construct the environment together through our posts instead of making it predetermined.

For our initial story, my vote for the basic characteristics of our universe will be scifi, interstellar, with multiple species and factions. I'm inclined toward realism, that is to say no magic, although I would consider fringe science and supernatural abilities to be welcome. We should also consider faster-than-light travel and communication to be readily available so that our characters can start off in distant places and still eventually interact with each other. I recommend that we allow control of each other's characters within reason, mainly when they are in direct contact with one of our own (such as in a conversation so that we don't have to post each line and response back and forth).

In order to give you an example of how this will work, in my first post my character will arrive at a location, describe his observations, give impressions as to his personality and identity through interactions with NPCs, and narrate his feelings and objectives and general purpose in life. A combination of first and third-person perspective shouldn't be a problem, as we will often be making note of movements and actions that our characters are not aware of.

Please give me your thoughts and suggestions. We will use this thread for discussion until there are a sizable number of participants and we have a pretty strong idea of how we want to proceed.
Clarion
Marshal

Re: Introduction

Postby MissM00gle » Thu May 02, 2013 3:51 pm

I like this idea.
Should we have an established universal means of FTL travel and communication, or shall it be somewhat specific to races/worlds?
I am totally down with the sci-fi interstellar idea; will this take place in one galaxy, or will we be able to travel to different galaxies? Personally, I feel that more than one galaxy might be a bit of an undertaking, but then again, I'm sure we're all clever enough to work that out.
Also, will there be some sort of general underlying storyline so we can all work towards some sort of goal, or is that something we would just build up as our stories and characters develop?

One last thing, I think that maybe, since we are often a bunch of goofballs, that perhaps we can establish a secondary, more comical webstory once we're comfortable and get into the flow of things (and that has nothing to do with our srs bzns webstory).
MissM00gle

Postby Clarion » Thu May 02, 2013 4:21 pm

I don't see anything wrong with different propulsion methods as long as we have a set scale for distance and speed for simplicity's sake (or at least easy-to-remember conversions). I'm not sure what form various communications methods would take, although that gives me the idea that one race could be technologically inferior but with a limited number of telepaths who could communicate instantly with each other over long distances. That would be pretty neat.

Different galaxies could work, but I think it would work best if traveling vast distances is accomplished through some different mode of technology. Like an ancient hypergate network or wormholes or something.

An ultimate goal might be useful. Even if it's just something like collecting all the dragonballs, and there could be some characters that couldn't care less. Otherwise we can probably come up with enough subplots to keep the story driven.

I do like the goofball story idea. We used to call them bars, and I think those are pretty common on other boards as well. So we can certainly have that.
Clarion
Marshal

Postby MissM00gle » Thu May 02, 2013 4:46 pm

I've already got some ideas involving quantum entanglement for communication...though the telepathy idea is indeed pretty neat.

Hypergates and wormholes sound like a solid idea, but perhaps maybe we could even work off the mass effect idea with their relay system. I'm not saying we copy it exactly, but it's a neat idea to work off of.

As for an ultimate goal, I would like to take a page out of Eric Nylund's book A Game of Universe, which is something of a sci-fi holy grail quest. Arthurian Sci-Fi, if you will. Interstellar Knights of the Round Table, a Cosmic Avalon...would that be cool or what?

This is gonna be fun!!!
MissM00gle

Postby Clarion » Thu May 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Hm, what was the holy grail in that story?
Clarion
Marshal

Postby Tamzarian » Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Clarion wrote:Hm, what was the holy grail in that story?

In the Arthurian legend? Yes, Arthur ultimately failed to retrieve the holy grail, but in the end Sir Gallagher did.
Tamzarian
Marshal

Postby Obrighm » Thu May 02, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm all for the dragonballs thing.
Obrighm
Marshal

Postby Obrighm » Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 pm

I was wondering how we'll structure the story. Like a primary goal made up of smaller goals, and when one of those smaller goals is fulfilled that closes the chapter (and subsequently, the thread) so that we may move on to another. If nothing else, I figured it would make for easier browsing of the story as a whole.
Obrighm
Marshal

Postby Clarion » Thu May 02, 2013 9:17 pm

You may be thinking of it too much like a novel. For instance one, two or three characters might share a goal that is fulfilled but it happens right in the middle of all the other plots going on. I'm not sure it would be more convenient considering that you'd have to keep checking back between threads in order to keep all your details straight going forward. That's not to say that we couldn't use that idea. Like if a major plotline concludes, we could end one episode of the story and get ready to start another. Like Star Wars, consecutive but with a little bit of time lapse in between.
Clarion
Marshal

Postby Obrighm » Thu May 02, 2013 9:47 pm

Yeah that's actually exactly what I had in mind, the different episodes of Star Wars. All complete stories, but part of a greater story. I just didn't know if we were going to just take every thread to post limit or what
Obrighm
Marshal

Next

Return to Story Discussion