Introduction

Re: Introduction

Postby MissM00gle » Thu May 02, 2013 11:23 pm

I am re-reading the last few chapters of A Game of Universe because the Grail in this story is a wee bit more complicated and way cooler than your normal old school Arthurian Grail (oh and there are factions revolving around it!). Will report back tomorrow.
MissM00gle

Postby MissM00gle » Sun May 05, 2013 9:13 am

Alright, so, the grail in this book is your typical cup that can give you eternal life and heal all wounds, but what's cool about it is that 3 different celestial factions play a giant cosmic game involving the grail, where they each use mortal pawns to go on a grail quest. Each grail quest is considered a round in their game, and can take hundreds of years per round. The factions are somewhat biblical, being heaven (god), "neutral" angels, and hell (demons, the devil), but he (the author) adds an interesting sci-fi twist to the whole story (this is, in fact, an inter-stellar time/space traveling type story). I think this would be a fun idea to work off of. We could undoubtedly remove the religious connotations and all that, but I do like the idea of all-powerful beings using mortal pawns to play a "grail quest" game. Naturally, they pit the pawns against each other, and may the best team win.
MissM00gle

Postby Clarion » Sun May 05, 2013 11:49 pm

I like that too. We could play it out in various ways. Maybe the celestial beings are just from another dimension and they project themselves into our universe. There could be different groups that visit the various factions, each promising to help them find something of great importance to them. One faction could be fanatics and think that the visitors are godly, one could be militaristic and the visitors promise to lead them to powerful weapons. Everybody becomes interested just by hearing about the visitors and they seek the treasure as well, mostly by following or infiltrating the main factions. Of course nobody really knows what it is that the visitors are looking for, but they point their respective factions toward all manner of stellar phenomena and ancient ruins in order to seek it out, and whenever someone does collect an artifact there is a big conflict for possession of it. Plenty of opportunities for a clever heist or sabotage or espionage.
Clarion
Marshal

Postby MissM00gle » Mon May 06, 2013 12:21 pm

That is perfect, I love it. So much room for creativity, and that can only lead to some really awesome stories.
MissM00gle

Postby Clarion » Sun May 12, 2013 12:02 am

Right now I'm just waiting for a few more folks to be ready for starting the story, which we can probably do tomorrow or Monday.
Clarion
Marshal

Postby vikingplumb » Tue May 14, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm alright with whatever story line and setting you guys decide. I'm kind of new to this so I'm kind of going to let you guys handle the difficult stuff for right now until i get a handle on how it will work.
I will say that I love the ideas thusfar. I'd like to see it fleshed out for sure.
vikingplumb
Marshal

Postby Clarion » Tue May 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Well prepare to get fleshy, because we're about to go Full Guga.
Clarion
Marshal

Postby MissM00gle » Sat May 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Would anybody be interested in doing a Remnants artwork thread? I thought it might be fun to share various works of art that pertain to the story. Even if it's just art you find around the internet that fits what you picture in your head or whatever.
Oh, and another thing. What about a thread for Remnants Lore? A codex, so to speak (such as in Mass Effect) where we can perhaps elaborate on our race, or a certain technology, or the details of certain cities and such. I think this would be neat for two reasons. One, we could easily reference certain permanent details of our universe, and two, I just think it would be fun to go into as much detail as we want about our creations and help realize a fully developed, dynamic, realistic sci-fi world.
MissM00gle

Postby Clarion » Sun May 26, 2013 12:08 am

I think both sound great, feel free to start them whenever you have a contribution ready. :)
Clarion
Marshal

Previous

Return to Story Discussion